- Mittelstraße, 53424 Remagen Remagen Deutschland
Located on the site of the Remagen POW Temporary Enclosure, the peace chapel was unveiled in 1987 to commemorate the fate of thousands of German prisoners who had suffered there and hundreds who perished from exposure and disease. The chapel houses the Black Madonna – a small sculpture of Virgin Mary with Jesus made of clay by one of the prisoners at Remagen. Research proved that the figure was made by the renowned sculptor Adolf Wamper, who had been called up in March 1945, just a month before his capture.
The railway bridge at Remagen was the only usable bridge captured by the Allies on the Rhine River, allowing for gaining the first foothold on the eastern bank of this formidable obstacle.
From March 1945 German resistance finally started to waver, and more and more soldiers surrendered. As the existing facilities to process them were hopelessly inadequate, U.S. Army created ‘temorary enclosures’, initially without any shelter or facilities.