The Museum of 4th Commando and the Monument of the Flame

The city of Ouistreham presents three commemorative sites dedicated to the history of D-Day: the German Bunker, the Museum of 4th Commando and the Monument of the Flame. The museum and the monument pay tribute to the French commandos landed on Sword Beach on 6 June 1944.

Place of remembrance of the French commandos of D-Day and more widely of the 4th Commando, the Sword Landings Museum – 4th Commando Museum, stands in front of today’s Casino in Ouistreham.

Its aim is to explain who were the commandos and what they achieved, in order te keep their memory and example alive. Administered by the Amicale des anciens du 1er Bataillon de Fusiliers Marins Commandos, the museum was renovated in 2008 and includes multimedia supports, in particular the projection of archives from the Imperial War Museum of London.

Today the museum is at the heart of the D-Day ceremonies and stands close to the Flame Memorial. This monument was unveiled on 6 June 1984 by President François Mitterand and has become one of the main centres of remembrance in the Sword Beach sector. The chosen site is a former Atlantic Wall blockhouse, surmounted by a French armoured turret taken from the Maginot line. This was one of the structures neutralised by the French on 6 June 1944.

The monument in the form of a flame symbolises the D-Day landings. The monument La Flamme carries the names of the 177 marines fusiliers who landed at Colleville-sur-Orne. Facing the monument are ten stelae bearing the names of ten soldiers who fell at Ouistreham on 6 June 1944. Each of the seven stairs leading to the monument symbolise a fallen commando between the monument and the casino. Finally a stone stela , work of the sculptor Petrus, stands above the others and is dedicated to Commander Kieffer.

The Museum of 4th Commando and the Monument of the Flame

Related Experiences