- Loes van Overeemlaan 19, 3832 RZ Leusden, Netherlands
- +313 3461 3129 firstname.lastname@example.org
The National Monument Kamp Amersfoort lies on the border between Leusden and Amersfoort. Between 1941 and 1945, approximately 37,000 prisoners were incarcerated in the camp, which served as both a transit and work camp directed by the SS. The camp was dismantled after the war. The Memorial Monument was completed in 2004.
During the mobilisation period of 1939 and 1940 the terrain was used as a barrack complex for the Dutch military. After 1941, the German occupier started to use the camp as a transit and work camp. During the war not only political opponents of the Nazi regime, but also many people in hiding in order to evade the forced labour, were imprisoned. On 19 April 1945, the camp was transferred to Loes van Overeem of the Red Cross. Over 600 of the approximately 37,000 prisoners did not survive the camp. After the war the camp was used as internment camp for people of the NSB, SS and collaborators. In 1946, the camp was transferred to the Department of War to be used as army camp again.
After the war, almost the entire camp was demolished. Since the ‘80s the Police Academy uses a large part of the terrain. On the remaining grounds, the National Monument kamp Amersfoort is established, which was completed in 2004. Already in 1953, a national monument was erected here. This statue ‘de stenen man’ (the stone man) can nowadays be found at the end of the shooting range, a lane dug by the prisoners of the camp where many executions took place. Besides the monument there is also a visitor centre with in it a permanent exposition. On the terrain, a watchtower, a bunker, monuments and several reconstructions can be seen.