- Niebergallstraße 20, Berlin, Allemagne
A memorial plaque placed at a site in the Wendenschloss quarter of Berlin on Niebergall Street recalls a historic event. Here stood a villa called the Waldgaststätte (forest inn) where on 5 June 1945 the commanders-in-chief of the four victorious powers signed the Berlin Declaration referring to future dealings with occupied Germany.
A monument placed at this site in the Wendenschloss quarter of Berlin-Köpenick on Niebergall Street 20 reads in German “On 5 June 1945, here in the former headquarters of Marshal G. K. Zhukov, the representatives of the High Commands of the Anti-Hitler Coalition signed the Declaration of the defeat of Fascist Germany and the assumption of governmental authority by the four Allied states.”
The meeting on 5 June was hosted by the Soviet forces in Berlin, who had captured the capital of the German Reich in early May after a few weeks of intense fighting. The Allied commanders endorsed the declaration at 18:00 hours, by signing, on behalf of their governments, three documents regarding future dealings with vanquished and occupied Germany. The signatories were: General Dwight Eisenhower, Marshal Georgy Zhukov, Field Marshal Bernard Montgomery and General Jean de Lattre de Tassigny.
Wendenschloss is a neighborhood 3,5 km south of the old town of Köpenick, on the shore of the lake Langer See. In spite of the name – Schloss means castle– there was never any castle here. The forest area was used as a hunting ground, and, since the end of the 19th century, as a recreational area. During this period, the Waldgaststätte (forest inn) Wendenschloss was built; it was renamed the ‘friendship inn’ under the East German regime, and later torn down. Today, a memorial plaque recalls the historic event.
Victorious powers in Berlin
The Second World War in Europe ended in the spring of 1945 with the Allied victory over Nazi Germany. The fate of the German people now lay in the hands of the four victorious powers, the USA, the Soviet Union, Great Britain and France. Germany and Berlin were placed under a shared four-party administration.