- 2 Village de l'Amont, 50500 Saint-Côme-du-Mont, France
- +332 33 23 61 95 firstname.lastname@example.org
Two museums can be found in Saint-Côme-du-Mont: the D-Day Experience exhibits the American side and Dead Man’s Corner Museum, the German perspective. The museum tells the story of the liberators of Europe through an interactive route with the possibility to take part in virtual experiences and simulations.
Normandy American Cemetery
The impressive American Military Cemetery of Colleville-sur-Mer contains the remains of 9.387 American soldiers who fell during the Battle of Normandy. The cemetery reflects and honors the sacrifices that the USA made for the liberation of Europe. From this point one can overlook Omaha Beach, the deadliest landing beach of Operation Overlord.
The Airborne Museum Sainte-Mère-Église
The Sainte-Mère-Église museum was inaugurated in 1964 right where American paratroopers were involved in fierce battles during the night of 5 to 6 June and the following days. The museum holds an important collection of uniforms, weaponry and other war memorabilia. Two additional buildings opened in June 2014.
The Battery of Azeville can be found 7 km from Sainte-Mère-Eglise in Normandy. Built in 1941, it is one of the first buildings of the Atlantic Wall in France. The underground passageways and bunkers, which maintain some of their original camouflage, can be visited with a guided tour.
La Fière Bridge and Monument Iron Mike
One of the essential missions of the 82nd American Airborne Division was to take the bridges spanning the merderet river, west of Sainte-Mère-Église. Between 6 and 9 June 1944, fierce battles took place there. To pay tribute to the numerous American paratroopers who lost their lives in this area, a statue baptized ‘Iron Mike’ was erected here.
The U.S. Airlandings in Normandy
Shortly after midnight on 6 June 1944, D-Day began with the landing of American and British airborne troops on French soil. Two U.S. Airborne Divisions were tasked to establish a bridgehead in the sector of Sainte-Mère-Église, to back up the landing of the U.S. infantry on Utah Beach.