- Route départementale 130, 67130 Natzwiller, France
- +333 88 47 44 67 email@example.com
The Natzweiler Struthof concentration camp operated from April 1941 until September 1944. During this time an estimated 22.000 inmates died to disease, exhaustion, maltreatment or execution by the camp guards. The former camp currently houses a museum and the European centre of deported resistance members.
The Natzweiler Struthof concentration camp was built on the 2.400 ft high north slope of Mont Louise. The camp was located there so that the prisoners could mine granite which was to be used to make German cities beautiful. But the prisoners were soon put to work for the war effort in the main camp or one of the many subcamps attached to it.
A large part of the camp prisoners were members of the resistance from France or other occupied prisoners. There were also Jewish, homosexual and Roma and Sinti inmates at the camp. People from over 30 countries were sent to the camp and during its history Natzweiler Struthof held over 52.000 prisoners. At is peak 7.000 inmates were locked up at the camp.
Medical experiments were carried out in the camp including studies on typhus, mustard gas and phosphene gas. Inmates of the camp were exposed to these gasses and diseases to study their effects. The gas chamber at the camp was also used to murder 86 Jewish men and women so that their skeletons could be studied by Dr. Hirt at the Strasbourg Institute of Anatomy.
In September 1944 the camp was evacuated and most prisoners were sent to the Dachau concentration camp. A month later the camp was liberated by men of the 3rd US Infantry division.
The historic region of Alsace-Moselle was a contended area between Germany and France. The memorial tells the story of the local inhabitants and their dramatic history during the Second World War.
Located on northern outskirts of Strasbourg, MM Park houses an extensive collection of military vehicles and heavy equipment from World War II. There is a number of war-related attractions and exhibitions, recommended for any military history enthusiast.
The museum of the liberation of the Colmar Pocket, full of authentic big and small artefacts, tells the story of a dramatic page of Alsatian history during the bitter cold fighting for the Colmar Pocket.
The Lorraine American Cemetery covers 113.5 acres and comprises 10,489 graves of American soldiers, most of whom were killed while driving the German forces from the fortress city of Metz toward the Siegfried Line and the Rhine River. The memorial, which stands on a plateau to the west of the burial area, shows ceramic operations maps with narratives and service flags.