- Corso Trieste, 101, 03043 Sant'Angelo In Theodice FR, Italy
Inaugurated in 2008 along the Gari river, called ‘Rapido River’ by the Allies, in a locality of Cassino named Sant’Angelo in Theodice, the Bell of Peace honours those who lost their lives during the four battles of Monte Cassino.
The Bell of Peace is located close to a bridge on the Gari river, or ‘Rapido River’ as named by the Allies, in the village of Sant’Angelo in Theodice, close to Cassino. The bridge itself is known as ‘Bridge of the four battles’ recalling the importance it had in the Battle for Monte Cassino. The Bell rings every day at noon to commemorate the various nationalities of the soldiers who died in the battles for Monte Cassino.
The crossing of the river Gari was essential for the advance on to Monte Cassino and the ultimate break of the Gustav Line. The deep and turbulent river made the crossing all but easy, along with the mines that the Germans had disseminated and the armed fighting to defend the German positions. Hundreds of Allied soldiers died. After many attempts, during the fourth and last battle of Cassino, the crossing and the establishment of a bridgehead was made possible by building a sort of bridge on the top of a Sherman tank. The tank was lying in the river, while a scaffolding was built on the top of it, allowing troops and vehicles to cross.
The Bell of Peace was inaugurated in 2008. On the bell you can see a scene of the Rapido River battle, the coat of arms of the Cassino municipality and of the Abbey, an image of the Pity and the writing “The sun shines again” as a message of hope for all wars to end.
The region of Lazio in central Italy was the scene of heavy fighting during WWII: here the battles of Monte Cassino and Anzio were fought before the Allies could capture the capital of Rome. Recall the landings of Anzio and
Recall the course of the Italian Campaign of WWII while exploring a country immensely rich in culture and history. Start your journey in Sicily, where the first Allied landings occurred in July 1943. Then walk through war cemeteries in Catania
The Allied campaign of Monte Cassino was fought in four phases between January and May 1944. The town of Cassino was a key stronghold on the Gustav Line, the German defence line in Central Italy designed to prevent Allied advance towards Rome. The Allies suffered about 55,000 casualties, the Germans 20,000.
The Polish Military Field of Honour at Monte Cassino holds the graves of 1,052 soldiers of the 2nd Polish Army Corps who died in the Battle of Monte Cassino, fought from 17 January until 18 May 1944. The cemetery also holds the grave of the Polish commander General Anders who died in London in 1970.
The War Cemetery in Cassino lies 139 km south-east of Rome. It contains the graves of 4,271 Commonwealth servicemen of the Second World War. The Cassino Memorial stands within the cemetery and commemorates over 4,000 Commonwealth servicemen who took part